The RCWL-0516 is a Doppler radar microwave motion sensor module which can act as an alternative to a PIR motion sensor such as the HC-SR501. Instead of sensing changes in infrared emitted by a moving person, this sensor uses a microwave Doppler radar to detect moving objects.
This mini radar motion sensor module is equipped with an RCWL-9196 chip based on the Doppler microwave induction technology. When triggered its trigger output pin will switch from (LOW) 0V to high (3.3V) for ~2 to 3 seconds before returning to its LOW state. It has a maximum 7 meter (~21 feet) detection distance with adjustable delay time and sensitivity. The detector is not affected by its surroundings, and can operate through glass and other obstructions, providing better performance than traditional infrared (PIR) detectors. It is perfect for DIY microwave motion sensor light switch, security systems, human sensor toys, etc.
The component side of the board is the main detection side and should face detection area for maximum sensitivity, however, it will also detect from the back side at lower sensitivity. Do not place metal objects within 1cm of the antenna.
- Operating Voltage: 4V – 28V, 5V – 12V recommended
- Operating Current: 2.8mA (typical); 3mA (max)
- Maximum Detection Distance: ~7m
- Transmitting Power: 20mW (typical); 30mW (max)
- Output Control Low Level: 0V
- Output Control High Level: 3.3V
- Operating Temperature: -20~80 C
- Storage Temperature: -40~100 C
- Dimensions: 35mm x 17mm x 3mm
- 3V3: 3.3V power output, can be used as a reference voltage or as a low current (less than 100mA) 3.3V power supply.
- GND: Ground
- OUT: Control output; when a moving object is detected, it will output high level 3.3V
- VIN: 4-28V Input voltage